Mind Spirit Share

This forum is for those who willing to share whatever come across the mind.

HomeSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
withoutwax
Professor
Professor

PostSubject: Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?   Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:30 pm

by Ang Meow Ning for Writing Contest 2008

In today's competitive world where a good education is fundamental to success.Many parents would persuade their children to go for tertiary education although some of them resist to continue to study.Though Malaysia now boasts of a heap number of universities,there are still limited number of places for form 6 students whereas matriculation students are more qualified to enter local university.In my opinion,i agree with the above statement that in order for every student to get chance to enter local unversity,it is vital for form 6 examination be replaced with a better Pre-U examination to meet the standards of international tertiary level such as A-level,South Australian Maticulation(SAM) or other international foundation programmes.There are some changes that should be made on the form 6 that are better Pre-U are study period,schooling system,abolish spoon-feed learning and toughness of examination.

The first challenge that should be made on the form 6 result to better Pre-U is the study period.In Malaysia,there are two main feeder programmes or pathways to enter local universities are the form 6 and the matriculation.The study period of form 6 is same as secondary school nowadays whereas the study period of matriculation is long,starting from 8am until 5pm,In my opinion,an international standard Pre-U study period should not be as long as 24 hours,the maximum should be around 3 to 4 hours per day,students are not a robot and they need rest too.Besides,their mind may become tired if they study long hours and sleepy.Club activities or exercise should be cultivated by every Pre-U students to have a healthy body and clearer mind.For example,a student who fall sick will be unable to attend class due to tension in studies and fewer will lag behind compared to other students.

Furthermore,schooling system for a better Pre-U should be revamped to produce more knowledgeable and intellegent students.Form 6 practises terminal examination system whereas matriculation was the modular system.What does terminal examination and modular examination mean?A terminal examination is held at the end of the study period whereas modular examination is conducted throughout the programme.To produce knowledgeable angd intellegent students,terminal examination should be used in Pre-U courses.There are many pros than cons for terminal examination.Students will be able to revise easily for the first year in the university and have stronger memories.Besides these,teachers should encourage students to do more research so that they will be able to catch up with the latest news.For example,a student will be unable to answer exam questions due to lack of knowing latest news and information.

In addition,to form a better Pre-U satndard,spoon-fed learning should be abolished.Pre-U students should be more independent,diligent and preserver in their studies,they should be able to manage their timetable well if compared to primary school students,their mind has not fully developed.How spoon-fe learning can be abolished?When a teacher gives a question and students are unable to answer,the teacher should not give out the answers instead of giving the answers immediately.By this way,students will not be spoon-fed.For example,when a student enters into the university,they would be able to complete the assignment requested by their own effort and not waiting to be spoon-fed by the lecturer.
Other than that,Pre-U courses should come up with a tough examination system so that it can stand still with other private Pre-U and the quality of Pre-U will be respected by malaysians or even foreigners.Therefore,the Pre-U examination format should be reformated to make it tougher.This will produce more challenges and competitive among the students in order to catch up when they are in their firsr year in the university.For example,medical students would find theis courses interesting and easier when come to first year in university.

In conclusion,form 6 examination should be replaced with a better Pre-U examination by shortening the study period,terminal schooling system is made,abolishment spoon-fed learning and increasing the level of difficulties in examination.Allof thesewill be able to prepare Pre-U students to take challenges with confidence and independence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rage
V.I.P
V.I.P

PostSubject: Re: Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Okay too long and lazy to read. I reply based on my on personal thoughts according to the question given.

Yes. Current system should be abolish. Not fully but exam-based system should be abolish. I don't think giving uber tough exam in pre-u period would raise the quality of students at all. It might serves as a filter to filter out weak students but what happen to the weak ones? Wasted 2 god damn years? (not exactly 2 actually). I'm in the Degree first year currently and while Form-6 students still having taken their exam. What happens to the ones who fails then?

Second point is that it should be more on coursework-based rather than exam-based. Consider that coursework plays a large role in scoring for uni level. Shouldn't pre-u should prepare them for uni level study instead of repeating the same thing like what we did in secondary level? It makes no sense to me seriously. No offense to those studying form 6 but that's just my humble personal thoughts. Sorry if offended. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Death
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?   Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:05 am

rage wrote:
Okay too long and lazy to read. I reply based on my on personal thoughts according to the question given.

Yes. Current system should be abolish. Not fully but exam-based system should be abolish. I don't think giving uber tough exam in pre-u period would raise the quality of students at all. It might serves as a filter to filter out weak students but what happen to the weak ones? Wasted 2 god damn years? (not exactly 2 actually). I'm in the Degree first year currently and while Form-6 students still having taken their exam. What happens to the ones who fails then?

Second point is that it should be more on coursework-based rather than exam-based. Consider that coursework plays a large role in scoring for uni level. Shouldn't pre-u should prepare them for uni level study instead of repeating the same thing like what we did in secondary level? It makes no sense to me seriously. No offense to those studying form 6 but that's just my humble personal thoughts. Sorry if offended. Smile

People also should realize that learning also extends outside the wall of educational institution.I remember hearing about someone,who get super good results ended up crying in interview,and a student with 2.4x CGPA gets into a university because the interviewer likes the way the students thinks and answers.In the end,education is not about what is written in a paper or hard disk,it's all about critical thinking,not only about stuffs in syllabus but also outside it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chosen-paths.blogspot.com
Admin
Admin~*~*
Admin~*~*

PostSubject: Re: Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?   Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 am

I agree on
Quote :
education is not about what is written in a paper or hard disk,it's all about critical thinking,not only about stuffs in syllabus but also outside it.

crucial thinking and analysis skills needed on the other hand will creativity and innovative.... leadership also plays an important role, that's why course work should be implemented in pre-u education......
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mss-919.omgforum.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should form 6 examination be replaced with a better pre-u examination?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1